Part 1) Spinning
So, I went to the spinning class. Keep in mind, I haven't ridden a bike (other than in Paris) in about... oh.... 10 years....
I walk into the class. I look around and find an open spot. I approach this strange looking bike, recognizing basically only the seat and the pedals. I get up on the bike... it feels akward. I get back down, puzzled as to what the heck is my next step. The instructer immediately comes over. She guides me - adjust the seat here, handlebars here, gears here... I'm feeling quite ridiculous and really embarrased. I hop back up, and she starts the class. Basically, the next hour was just pedaling. Stand up, sit down, stand back up, sit back down, pedal faster, pedal slower, change some gears.... I think I did pretty good for a first-timer. My knee started to pop on me, which was wierd but not painful. But otherwise, I think maybe I should have increased my pace or the gearing, because I was not nearly as tired as some of the other people in the class. For a retired musician (haha... retired!), it's extremely difficult NOT to pedal with the music and I would have killed myself going doubletime.
Part 2) the swim
So, I decided early in the day that I was going to hop in for a swim after the class if I could stand it. So, I did. I jogged right downstairs, grabbed my suit, and in I went. I felt really good. A few stretches and I was off. I'm not going to lie. I did NOT do 40 laps like the other day. I only did 15. I was pretty tired. It felt good though, and the only real hiccup was the guy who wouldn't stop trying to have a conversation with me in every turn. I was obviously not giving off the "leave me alone I'm working out" sign clearly enough, and the ring was no deterrant at all. Some people really have some guts... but my first try at 2 sports was generally a good experience.
Training Session Day 7 Complete and Successful
Lessons Learned
1) Pedal harder.
2) Tattoo's are like magnets to little surfer boys who have nothing better to do at the gym than hit on girls. Cover it up next time.
3) Don't arrive 30 minutes early to Wednesday night Spin... it's way too early and the class doesn't fill up.
4) I really need to get my bike.
Thursday, September 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment