Day 8 - Break day
By lunch time, I had not heard the results of my ex-ray, so I called the doctor. The nurse, matter of factly, tells me I have a possible stress fracture, I need to go buy crutches, no weight bearing at all, pop advil, and go see an orthopedic. My reaction was... huh???
So, I immediately begin calling every orthopedic within a 60 mile radius to get an appointment before I leave for Portland. I find one that, just so happens, is only 2 miles from the office. And a bonus, they take walk-ins. So, I get my ex-ray results faxed over, and I proceed to the office. 2 hours later... (oh yeh, I was a happy camper at this point)... they finally call me back.
So... the doctor walks in. He doesn't say anything, not even hello. He turns to me, but never the entire time, does he make eye contact. He says, "so they think you have a stress fracture. What have you been up too?" So I tell him the story. He sits silent for a very uncomfortable amount of time, and then proceeds to tell me how it's definately not a stress fracture. In his words, I have a very "unimpressive history" (thanks Doc). He then decides to examine my knee, painfully attempting to push my knee cap all over my leg. He then abruptly walks out, leaving the door open. He walks into another exam room and talks to a nurse about a BBQ they are planning over the weekend, shells out some money to her, and walks back in. He proceeds to tell me that I'm defective from birth (his exact words, mind you) and that I'll probably never run any major distance. I interrupt at this point to inform him that is not an option for me... triathlon plans. He shakes his head... "some people surprise me, but I don't know about you. You'll probably be here in 6 months begging for surgery. It's too soon now, but if you really want it we can consider it." What a jerk huh? So anyways, he shows me an excersize to strengthen the inside muscle on my leg, which will in turn pull my knee-cap more center and hopefully fix me. He then tells me... don't run for a little while (real specific, thanks again Doc), do these excersizes, and we'll see from there. So I ask for clarification, how long is a little while? He says... "a few weeks."......and walks out leaving me unable to ask any more questions...
so, the moral of the story... I'm not allowed to run for a few weeks, but I can still bike and swim. I will adamately do these little leg lifts he has shown me, and 3 weeks from now I will try again.
Thursday, September 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Umm sweety, sounds like you need a second opinion. And an orthopedic that does not take walk-in's is probably a better option. If you have a primary care or pediatrician you trust ask them for a referral to an orthopedic.
Alicia, don't take that doctor's (and I use that word loosly)word. Get another opinion. Do the exercises he suggested while you are getting another appointment, even if you have to wait a few weeks for the appointment.
Post a Comment